Angel Food Cake with Custard & Berries
Yield: 6 servings
1/4 cup Hain Pure Foods® Organic Sugar
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp Hain Pure Foods® Sea Salt
1/2 tsp lemon zest
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups prepared angel food cake, cubed
1/2 cup non-dairy refrigerated whipped dessert topping
2 cups mixed strawberries, raspberries and/or blueberries
Sprig of mint
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt and mix well. Stir in half of the zest and soymilk.
2. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and bubbles, then remove from heat and quickly whisk in the egg yolks.
3. Return pan to heat and cook 2 minutes longer.
4. Remove from heat and cool. Stir in vanilla extract and remaining zest.
5. Transfer to a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
6. Fold the non-dairy dessert topping into the custard.
7. Divide the angel cake between 6 dessert dishes and top with custard and berries.
8. Garnish with sprig of mint . Serve immediately.